Monday, January 24, 2011

mama tica and the fam

My host family here is WONDERFUL. I absolutely love them.  We call our host moms here "mama ticas" because the Costa Rican people are called "ticos" (boys) and "ticas" (girls).  People from the United States are called "gringos" (boys) and "gringas" (girls).  I learned that it is improper to say I am "americana" here because technically, Costa Ricans are part of America too.  But my family is great! My mama tica is so, so sweet. Most of the host moms here have maids cook and clean for their host kids, but not ours! She works so hard doing all these things, plus she watches her grandson from 7am-6pm everyday...she's like wonderwoman! She always serves our food, literally putting it onto our plates for us and arranging pretty plates of food sometimes...she says when she cooks, she always cooks with love :) She enjoys taking care of her house and cooking.  Mama Tica always gives motherly love and advice, she is great.  Our host dad is great too, he is a funny guy, always making jokes.  Yesterday, he told me that in his opinion, extra-terrestrials built the pyramids (this wasn't a joke lol).  There are also two host brothers, Alejandro and Luis, who are 16 and 18.  They are on winter vacation but start school again in a couple weeks.  Also, Mama tica has a daughter, Laura, who is married who is over occasionally; she is the mom of Julian, the grandson that is over all the time.  He is 3, adorable, and loves the movie "Cars." That's the fam! There is also another girl staying here for study abroad from the states.  Her name is Kalifa and she is from Washington.  We get along great, so that has worked out really well.  I'm so happy with my family :)


Julian

Julian and his mom, Laura

Luis, one of my host brothers
Alejandro, my other host brother

mama tica!

mama tica, "juli" as we call him for short, and i


he's normally not this calm...random fact of the day, they give kids coffee here! Julian has coffee...and he's three.  It was explained to me this way though: that it is essentially like giving kids pop like we do in the states. makes sense, i guess. 




Mi casa! There is a security company next door that parks their bikes in front of our house.

home sweet home :)

dining/main room...and juli. he likes to be in the pictures. 

living room

my room! the desk is a bit messy, but you'll be proud to know that the desk is only the ever messy part of my room. OP this summer has changed me forever, haha. 
roomies :)

simple but sweet. there is also a large closet...great!



2 comments:

  1. What a treat to meet your CR fam through the pictures! Give a big hug & thank you to mamma tica from your homeland mamma.

    I'll be expectantly watching for that OP training to continue when you return...

    ReplyDelete