Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cooking Class

Today I started a cooking class! It is once a week for this month, but last week there was a little mishap so we are starting this week instead.  It was neat, the lady is a Tica and a motherly-kind of sweet and has a little spunk too. There are only three of us in the class, so we get to help and then EAT! But now I know not to eat before next time...I feel like I am going to explode. We made chorreadas palmarenas, which is a dessert and kind of like a crepe/pancake thing with sour cream, honey, and cinnamon sugar.  If it sounds weird, it was good, I promise.

After, a couple of us went to Auto Mercado, a local supermarket that has a lot of American products.  I felt like such a gringo, but I realllyyy miss desserts here (they don't really have them-their idea of dessert is a piece of bread with some sugar on top) so I got oreos, nesquik, and nutella. I felt like such a fatty American gringo but I'm ok with that =)

Now it's time to head to photography class...we are just working on our portfolios, for which we have to pick a theme and put together pictures on that and then present them at the end and explain the color, composition, lighting, yada yada.  I chose 'framing' for my theme, which worked out okay because it's really broad which makes the portfolio a little easier. :)

And I liked Nicaragua so much that I'm going back! Ok well that's not reallyy why, but a different group of people are going and we're going to be doing different stuff so I'm excited :) We're leaving tomorrow, so I'm skipping my one day of class this month Friday (if we miss more than one we fail...uh oh!) so we can leave Thursday afternoon.

Until next week...adios!

2 comments:

  1. We're enjoying your posts.
    The kitchen will not know what hit it come April! Two desert-deprived housemates will be delighted.

    Enjoy another view of Nicaragua.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the 2nd trip has been as terrific as the first.
    I remember grabbing any American goods I could get when we would go to the "Standa" in Italy. They don't like large grocery stores there because it edges out the little shops, so this one was the only large market in a 50 mile region. M&Ms were a favorite. And corn flakes: Italians do NOT eat cold cereal for breakfast, so there were "instructions" on the side of the box about how to eat...corn flakes! We still have the box. And we MET Nutella in Italy. Now it's an American treat :-)

    ReplyDelete