Monday, February 28, 2011

long weekend!

The first Monday of each month, we don't have Spanish classes...and this is the last month of Spanish (wow, crazy!) so no class today made for a nice long weekend. Friday, I hung out with my roommate and we watched some Disney movies and made more cookies. yumm.

Saturday, I had a field trip with my photography class. We were told we were going to somewhere with a pool and a waterfall.  It ended up being our professor's parent's 'farm.' I was expecting goats and chickens, but farm in Costa Rica really just means out in the country. The house was SO nice, it was crazy. And in the backyard, there was a pool, a deck with a mountain-ish view over the city, and a mini golf course in process. We didn't end up going to a waterfall, we just chilled at the house all day, and that night we made a bonfire.  It was just for the day, so we got back that night.

yep. that's the house.



lay out on the deck, on a mountain, overlooking san jose. 

night time view

sunset :)



bonfire with the city lights as the background. pretty cool.




Sunday was a very early morning. My roomate Kalifa and I went to the 'Feria' with our Mama Tica.  The Feria is basically like a giant farmer's market. It was really cool! Mama Tica gets almost all the food for the week here. She uses a baby stroller to carry it all, and our host dad comes and loads up his motorcycle to help carry some of it back. We were going to head to the beach after, but we were tired so we stayed in San Jose instead (which turned out to be good because it rained at the beach). We went to church with our host mom and later watched the finale of a telenovela (like a Spanish soap opera) which lasted two and a half hours. lol.

Today, since we didn't have class, we headed to the Supermarket in search of bacon, because I wanted to make BLTs.  Well...3 supermarkets and 4 hours later, I got my groceries and bacon (which, by the way, they do not eat bacon here really and it cost me a small fortune. trying to make a BLT in Costa Rica = bad life choice).  And I got a really cute dress, we may have made a little detour to an outdoor mall :) And then it rained here while I was walking home from somewhere this afternoon...boo. That's really rare for this time of year though.

Since it's March, I start a new Spanish class tomorrow.  This month's class for me is "advanced conversation" which makes me sound way better at Spanish than I actually am, but basically we talk and work on speaking and conversation skills in Spanish the whole 4 hours, which will be really helpful.  Speaking is always more difficult than being able to understand someone.  I'm also going to sign up for a cooking class that's once a week, where we learn to make some Costa Rican dishes :) I'm planning on going to Nicaragua for two weekends this month and probably a beach the other one.  And then I'll be home! Wow, that's crazy.  But for now, off to class..yay.  haha :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the night pics!

    Looking forward to your Costa Rican cooking. :)
    Hugs to you, Miss "Honey Bee." haha

    ReplyDelete